Thursday, March 3, 2011

Playing Around

I love games. My hubband loves games. Though we certainly do prefer different games over others... There are a few that we really love to play together. I love collecting new games. I prefer word and strategy games. Monopoly has long been a favorite of mine.
Peter has a well known love of videogames and a less indulged love of Axis and Allies.
We play games on the Wii/Xbox together and we play board games together.
I'm a competition junkie. I love dominating a game. These two traits do not always go well when playing with family. Winning or losing can be a nasty scenario. I can be self-congratulatory and overbearing which is really unpleasant... I can also be whiny and self-pitying that things didn't go my way.
Of course these scenarios are decidedly on the less grown up side of things and happen FAR less often now that I'm an adult. Heh. Heh... Maybe I just hide it better.
Which is why I find that playing games such as Monopoly, Scrabble, Battleship, and other strategy games are more fun when I'm playing a computer. I don't have to worry about the other person's feelings! I don't have to deal with an obstinate sibling who just won't trade! I deal with an AI algorithm that has rules to follow and no feelings to hurt.
But to be honest I miss the best part of any game. Playing with people. Conversation. Real strategy and planning. Taking the time to setup intricate boards and move around tiny little pieces.
I love that.
It's a good thing that I have both.

No comments:

Post a Comment