Thursday, March 31, 2011

Steps of Grief

So I was reading this article that was discussing the steps of grief, and how you can experience them in any order.
The article listed them as denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance.

I can see how we go through each of these when we are grieving, but more to my point... Aren't these the steps of life? I feel a little of this every day. Denial that I need to exercise more often, anger when that one person rushed me, bargaining with myself over what I can and cannot do, depression that I didn't finish everything on my to do list quickly enough... acceptance that I'm doing the best I can.

So I'm just not sure why we aren't better equipped to handle grief. Why is it all so shocking still?

1 comment:

  1. When you experience grief, it isn't just the one event that resonates, it's an accumulation of all past grief. I think that grief tends to be exponential, until we hit that wall where we kind of shut it off and/or learn to cope with it.

    ReplyDelete