Monday, November 15, 2010

Spiritual Gifts

Just last week I was approached by a woman at church, who asked me if I would take a minute or two at the beginning of our meeting next week to talk about spiritual gifts. I told her I would, but to be honest, I wasn't sure what I was going to say. I had a few weeks though, so I just tucked it into the back of my mind to let it simmer. But because of this week at church, I now know what I want to talk about. Healing.

This week at church was normal. About a half hour away from the end of our meeting, a song lyric broke through to me. "When your soul was bowed with sorrow, balm of Gilead did you borrow?..."

Having recently finished a month filled with doctor's appointments for one thing or another, the mention of healing hit especially hard. I am blessed to have a very healthy body (though I don't maintain it the way I should) that recuperates quickly. Through the medical issues that I've had, my body has shielded me from pain and prolonged suffering. I am grateful for modern medicine and the procedures that ensure my continued health, but my emotions have been up and down and all over. Something that I really wish I could control.

But today I was reminded I have to let myself heal emotionally too. I have to give my faith and spirit, time and space to catch up with what my body does so easily. To regenerate and progress I have to have faith that the hard times will pass. I have to keep moving and growing. I have to be happy.
Besides, P hates it when I cry. So do I.
The good news is, that I am healing. Inside and out.

1 comment: